Serving patients in Wakefield, MA and Wilmington, MA
How often should I have my hearing tested?
It can be difficult for an adult to judge how often his or her hearing should be tested. For adults under age 50, once per year is generally a good rule of thumb for a hearing examination. However, age is only one factor when it comes to determining the frequency of necessary hearing exams.
Patients who may need hearing testing more often than usual include:
- Children. Most children under age 18 should have a short hearing evaluation at their regular yearly doctors’ appointments. In the teenage years, these tests may be done every other year, but patients who have a family history of hearing problems should get tested at least annually.
- Seniors. Patients over the age of 50 should have their hearing tested at least annually, but many will benefit from more frequent testing. Hearing loss risk increases significantly with age, so older patients should consider having a checkup twice yearly.
- Those who work around loud noises. More and more patients are losing their hearing early in life due to excessive noise levels. Employees who work in construction, factories, industrial sites, branches of the military, or in the music industry should consider twice-yearly hearing screenings, and should always wear ear protection while on the job.
- Hearing loss sufferers. Anyone who has a history of hearing problems or has begun to suffer hearing loss symptoms should schedule a hearing exam as soon as possible rather than wait for a regular yearly exam. Trouble hearing can be a sign of an underlying condition, so getting a hearing check-up can protect your ears and overall health.
- People with hearing aids. Hearing aid users may need frequent adjustment of their devices as their hearing needs change. A hearing test every few months will allow your audiologist to reprogram and adjust the fit of the device to ensure optimum correction for your hearing loss.
Call Us Today to Get Your Hearing Tested
Our board-certified audiologists perform all of our hearing testing services for all ages, and advise each patient on the best treatment options for his or her lifestyle. Call the number on this page or fill out our online form to make an appointment in our Wakefield or Wilmington offices today!